Certificate in Apologetics
Information regarding our apologetics certificate.
Why learn apologetics?
the importance of learning apologetics
The need to give the reason for the hope that we have in Christ is mounting. As a church leader, you have likely come across a few members who ask tough questions about the Christian faith. As a youth leader or parent, you have certainly interacted with young people who ask you the difference between Christianity and Islam, or why the Bible is against LBGTIQ. As a Christian, you have come across people who challenge your faith against our traditional cultures. As a professional or business leader, you can identify times in the past where you have had to defend your faith during a particular discussion. Living in a plural socio-cultural context, we interact with many people from different cultural, religious and ideological perspectives.
As Christians convinced of the authority and transformative power of God’s Word, we sometimes feel inadequate in responding to all these different groups of people. This course has been designed to give you the tools to give an answer for your faith, biblically, winsomely and compassionately, and to train others to do the same. This certificate is specifically designed to equip church ministry leaders, pastors, parents, and marketplace professionals with the tools to effectively respond to the questions that a new generation are asking. The Certificate in African Apologetics seeks to do this by building a solid combination of biblical and theological competence, character formation, socio-cultural understanding and practical application for varied contexts, including the church, the home and the society.
our learning path
- Biblically Founded: This course sees the apologetics task as defined and conducted from a biblically robust foundation. Thus, we acknowledge that the Bible is the foundation of our Christian life.
- Contemporary Scholarship: This course is facilitated by pastor-scholars with up-to-date research in their academic disciplines and with varied church ministry experience, thereby enriching the student’s educational experience.
- Contextually Sensitive: This course is developed with the African context in mind. Thus, the faculty as well as the curriculum have been designed with this context in mind.
- Holistic in Approach: This course acknowledges that apologetics is more than debating. It sees apologetics as a spiritual endeavour grounded in biblical theology, winsomely engaging contemporary cultural issues and leading to deeper character formation in Christ-likeness.
our learning path
Expected Learning Outcomes
- To help the learner build a biblical and theological foundation for apologetics.
- To equip the learner with up-to-date research on contemporary issues in apologetics.
- To strengthen local church ministry through raising Christian apologists for the 21st century.
- To equip learners to apply apologetics within different and varied African contexts.
- To nurture holistic Christian disciples who love God with mind, heart, soul and strength.
- To provide learners with the tools to engage in contemporary apologetics research and ministry initiatives.
Who is the course for?
- Church leaders interested in exploring apologetics for ministry effectiveness
- University graduate seeking to explore apologetics ministry or theological education.
- Parents and guardians seeking to equip themselves to respond to the contemporary challenges to Christianity in their home or neighborhoods.
- Professionals seeking to equip themselves to respond to the contemporary challenges to Christianity in the workplace.
Our Learning outline
Biblical and Theological Core
Old Testament Survey
This topic will give a survey of the Old Testament and its relevance for apologetics
Prof. Nathan Chiroma
New Testament Survey
This topic will give a survey of the New Testament and its relevance for apologetics
Rev. Dr. Steve Van Horn
This topic will explore approaches to Bible interpretation and critical apologetics issues in the Bible such as miracles, science and the resurrection accounts
Rev. Dr. Steve Van Horn
Basics of the Christian Faith
This topic will introduce the student to the core doctrines in theological study, in view of their historical development.
Prof. Nathan Chiroma
Uniqueness of Christ
This topic will introduce the student to the uniqueness of Christ in a world of plural worldviews
Introduction to Apologetics
This topic will introduce the field of apologetics from a biblical and historical perspective. It will introduce the learner to different apologetic methodologies, issues and ministries.
Dr. Kevin Muriithi
Logical and Critical Thinking
This topic will introduce the student to the importance of logic, critical and creative thinking and their relevance for the apologist
Dr. John Njoroge
This topic will help the student to apply apologetic knowledge to researching, writing & speaking / debating.
Apologetics, Spiritual Formation and Warfare
This topic will help the student explore how humility is central for the apologist and how apologetics is a form of character formation as well as in spiritual warfare in Christian life
African Studies Core
African Christian History
This topic will help the student familiarize themselves with the rich heritage of Christianity in the continent
Dr. Kyama Mugambi
African Traditional Religions & Worldviews
This topic will help the student familiarize themselves with how Africans think, see the world and live, in both traditional and contemporary African societies
Dr. Heglon Kitawi
World Religions and Cults in Africa
This topic will help the student familiarize themselves with cults, including the key elements, movements and organization of cults in Africa
CERTIFICATION & COST
Course Certificate & Fees break down
Course Certificate issuant: Certificate of Participation will be issued by St. Paul’s University Kenya
- 4-month long and weekly online sessions (1 day a week) from 8PM starting Feb 2024.
- 2 face-to-face interactions, SAT 27 Jan and SAT 6 April 2024.
Costing/Fee Breakdown (KSH 16,000 or USD 160):
- The course is highly subsidized with amount going to faculty honorarium, books, and institutional fees.
- KSH 13,500 / 130 USD (10% discount)
Group Discount Option (For 5 or more people)
KSH 12,000 per person
2 Payment Installment Options
- 2 payment instalments of kSH 8,000 each by 15 January and 15 April 2024.S
Free Resources for 2022 Registrants
Faith and Science – TBC
Is truth relative? – TBC
Christianity, Sexuality and Gender – TBC
Face to Face Schedule
1st Face-to-Face – Saturday 27th Jan, 2024
- Basic Christian Doctrine – TBC
- Uniqueness of Christ – Bill Dindi
- Introduction to Apologetics – Dr. Kevin Muriithi
2nd Face-to-Face – Saturday 6th Apr, 2024
- Logic and Critical Thinking – TBC
ONLINE COURSE SCHEDULE
Meet the lecturers
DR. KYAMA MUGAMBI
was previously senior researcher with the Centre for World Christianity at Africa International University and currently serves as Associate Professor at Yale Divinity School. In addition to multiple publications, he is the author of A Spirit of Revitalization: Urban Pentecostalism in Kenya by Baylor University Press 2020 (One of “The Ten Outstanding Books in Mission Studies, World Christianity, and Intercultural Theology” International Bulletin of Mission Research.) He serves as the editorial manager of African Theological Network Press, an initiative advancing theological discourse among academics and church workers. He is a member of the editorial boards of the Dictionary of African Christian Biography [www.dacb.org] and Missio Africanus. He remains connected to the local church having served as a pastor for more than 20 years
PROF. NATHAN CHIROMA
is the Dean, School of Theology and Head of Children and Youth Ministry Department at the Pan Africa Christian University (alias PAC University) since September 2017. He is a practical theologian and youth development enthusiast, having earned his Ph.D. in 2012 from the University of Stellenbosch (South Africa) where he specialized in Practical Theology. In 2008, he graduated from the University of Stellenbosch with an MTh (Master of Theology) in Youth work and later undertook a two-year post-doctoral fellowship at the same institution. His interest in Christian Education was advanced when he took on and completed his Master of Divinity at the International Leadership University in Nairobi. His first Theological degree was earned from ECWA Theological Seminary Igbaja, Nigeria.
DR. KEVIN MURIITHI
previously worked as an Engineer before pursuing pastoral and apologetics ministry. After completing a B.Sc. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, he pursued an M.A. in Biblical and Theological Studies at the International Leadership University (Nairobi International School of Theology) and holds a Ph.D. in Theology from the University of South Africa, where he researched youth culture and discipleship in Urban Africa. He is presently Full-Time Lecturer and Head of Department, History, Mission, Religion and Practical Theology in the School of Theology, St. Paul's University. He also has a certificate in Christian Apologetics from Talbot School of Theology, Biola University, and is chairperson of Apologetics Kenya. A member of the International Association for the Study of Youth Ministry, his research has appeared in multiple peer-reviewed journals and is working on an edited book on Apologetics in Africa with Langham Publishers. Kevin is the current secretary of the Africa Society of Evangelical Theology and writes for The Gospel Coalition Africa. He is married to Jessica and father to Noah.
REV. RODGERS ATEBEMBWEIRE
is a PhD candidate, North-West University. He serves as the East Africa Director of the Africa Centre for Apologetics Research (ACFAR) and pastor of New City Community Church in Kampala, Uganda. Rodgers is much in demand as a conference speaker on apologetics, cults, and related topics, and his teaching ministry includes radio and television programs and a podcast. He is also a frequent contributor to The Gospel Coalition Africa.
And many more . . .
how to enroll
join the course now
We are now enrolling for the 2024 cohort. Click the button on the right to register at your convenience.